Establish A Winter Skin Care Regimen
Just as the weather changes with the seasons, so should your skin care regimen. To prepare for the cold, dry weather that winter brings, people upgrade to heavier clothing and more layers to provide protection. Skin care products should be no exception. Here are some simple ways to combat dry, itchy skin during the winter months.
Tips For Healthy Skin In Winter
- Use gentle cleansers: Certain cleansers that work fine in the summer and spring may be too harsh for the winter weather. Consider swapping out strong soaps and alcohol-based toners for more mild cleansers with moisturizing agents. These products will clean skin without stripping away moisture.
- Avoid hot baths: Though a hot bath might seem soothing, hot water breaks down the skin’s natural moisture barrier, and the longer you sit in it, the more moisture is lost. A better choice is to take a short soak in warm (not hot) water, and following up with a moisturizer to lock in moisture.
- Upgrade moisturizers: Like cleansers, moisturizers may need to be swapped out for a stronger formula as temperatures plummet and cold, dry air takes over. Oil-based moisturizers tend to seal in moisture better than water-based formulas, and are gentler on irritated skin. If skin is inflamed, peeling or cracked, consult your dermatologist before using a new moisturizer.
- Apply sunscreen: Though patients bare less skin in the winter, the face and hands remain vulnerable to sun damage. Continue to apply sunscreen daily as part of your skin care routine.
- Manage skin conditions: Winter weather can trigger flare-ups of chronic skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema and psoriasis. Be sure to monitor these conditions and follow your dermatologists’ recommendations to prevent and treat flare-ups.
Do You Have Questions About Dry Skin? Contact Dr. Gangaram Ragi Today
If you need help establishing a winter skin care regimen, don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Gangaram Ragi today at Advanced Laser and Skin Cancer Center. Our office is located in Teaneck, New Jersey, and we can be reached at 201.836.9696.
Tags: Skin Care
Category: Skin Care